In this session, the skills of scholarly writing will be explored through the lens of analyzing a manuscript that was accepted for publication. The participants will examine review criteria that are used by healthcare education journals and apply them to a sample manuscript. At the end of this session, participants will be able to:
- Identify the components of a scholarly publication;
- Discuss how to frame a problem statement;
- Identify an effective Research Question;
- Discuss whether the Design/method is appropriate to the question;
- Discuss whether the authors have applied the best data collection methods to the appropriate sample;
- Understand the Results section and how to present results in a clear manner.
Facilitator: Gary L. Beck Dallaghan, PhD
Dr. Beck Dallaghan is the Director, Educational Scholarship, Office of Medical Education at the University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill.