This workshop is taught by AWHONN approved Instructor Trainer, Debbie Schy, RNC, MSN, APN, IBCLC, CIMI. The workshop prepares participants to teach the Intermediate Course. Content includes principles and application of adult learning theory as applicable for teaching the Intermediate Fetal Monitoring Course such as: integration of principles of adult learning into the didactic and skills course components, incorporate appropriate teaching methods and strategies during the lecture, demonstrate entry-level proficiency in teaching and guiding participants during the skill stations, and demonstrate knowledge of the assigned components of the course during the micro-teach. Information about the administrative and operational aspects of FHM are presented. This course is the initial step for individuals who wish to become approved AWHONN FHM Program Instructors. By signing up, you attest that you meet all criteria and will not be eligible for a refund.
To be eligible to become an approved Intermediate Workshop Instructor, you must:
- Maintain a AWHONN full membership.
- Successfully complete the current edition Intermediate Fetal Monitoring Course (2022 or more current)
- Instructors are required to hold certification by the National Certification Corporation in Inpatient Obstetric Nursing (RNC-OB®) or Electronic Fetal Monitoring (C-EFM®)
- Each participant must purchase their own individual Instructor manual with a unique code independently.
- Complete the prework for the Instructor workshop at least 48 hours prior to the Intermediate Instructor Workshop
- Successfully complete the Intermediate Instructor Workshop
- Maintain active licensure as a registered nurse or physician
- Have a minimum of two years of recent experience in fetal monitoring
- Have current clinical involvement in fetal monitoring (FHM) as a staff nurse, physician, manager, clinical nurse specialist, advanced practice registered nurse, certified midwife (registered midwife in Canada), or educator that includes responsibilities for assessment of EFM clinical skills of others
- Maintain professional development in intrapartum, antepartum, high-risk care, and FHM through attendance at relevant continuing education activities in the past 2 years and continuing experience once you are an instructor
- Complete an Intermediate FHM teach-back Course
- Complete the Conflict of Interest, Licensing Agreement, and Financial Declaration Statements annually.